I found the (short) story of the creation of Dr. Explain (Help file & software documentation authoring tool) very interesting so I´m reproducing here (with permission!):
1) Initial design specification for the first version of the Dr.Explain was made in a couple of hours and fitted in just two pages: several screen prototypes and a paragraph of text explaining the key idea.
2) The pilot name of the Dr.Explain project was ‘Catch&Doc’, like ‘Cats-n-Dogs’ 🙂 .
3) The development of the first version took 7 months in part-time mode (nights and weekends).
4) Much code was taken from CodeProject.com to minimize time-to-market. Later it was completely rewritten 🙂 .
5) The first version of the Dr.Explain was released on June 23, 2005.
6) Due-to development of the first version I had to postpone my Ph.D. work for about a year.
7) The price of the first version was $50 (US).
8) The first order arrived on 7′th day after official release.
9) Many first users were from Clarion developers community.
10) I left my day job to start the company after 4 months since initial release of Dr.Explain.
Could you disclose something interesting about your products?